INEC office in Quan Pan local government area of Plateau state is currently on fire.
According to journalist Bello Lukman, the fire was caused by a drunken security man. Ballot boxes, voters register, uncollected Permanent Voters Card, Card Readers and other materials got burnt.
The Head of Media, Publicity and Voters Education of the Commission, Mr Osaretin Imahiyereobo, who confirmed that the incident happened Saturday night, lamented that the inferno has caused a serious setback to the preparations of the general election in the local government. He said;
“A drunken security man was said to have caused the fire outbreak. The office is completely burnt with all its contents — ballot boxes, generator sets — that have been serviced and filled with fuel, cubicles, newly printed electronic and manual voters register, uncollected permanent voter cards (PVCs), materials for the preparations of RAC and other materials yet to be identified.”